How to import 4K RAW files from Blackmagic Design Production Camera to FCP X? After you read this article you will get the best workflow to edit Blackmagic 4K RAW files with FCP X in Apple ProRes codec.
Blackmagic Design Production Camera is a powerful 4K camera, it equipped with 4K super 35mm sensor with global shutter, with it you can record UHD 4K (3840*2160) and Full HD (1920*1080) videos in 10-bit Apple ProRes family of codecs, and the visually lossless, compressed 12-bit CinemaDNG RAW at 4000*2160 resolution. This 4K camera also equipped with 2.5” SSD which enable the high data rates required by RAW and ProRes HQ.
Blackmagic Design Production Camera to FCP X
From the information showed above you will know that this Blackmagic 4K camera can record Apple ProRes codec files as well as CinemaDNG RAW 4K files, the Apple ProRes codec files are compatible with FCP X and you can edit the videos in Final Cut Pro X smoothly. But, to these recorded CinemaDNG RAW 4K files, they are not natively supported by Final Cut Pro X, if you try to load CinemaDNG RAW 4K files from Blackmagic Design Production Camera to FCP X, you will meet with problems, there are some Blackmagic 4K camera users have reported the issue on the websites.
In this case, what’s the best workflow to import Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K RAW files to FCP X for editing? The most effective way is to convert Blackmagic CinemaDNG RAW 4K files to FCP X native supported Apple ProRes codec MOV format, and then you can edit 4K video on Mac with Final Cut Pro X natively. To help you convert Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K RAW files to FCP X, we would like to recommend the best 4K video converter for you, the software is Acrok HD Video Converter for Mac, which is able to convert any 4K videos and HD videos, you can import CinemaDNG RAW 4K files, MXF files, MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, MTS, M2TS, etc. it can convert videos to popular players and editing programs, like FCP X, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro CC/CS6/CS5, Sony Vegas Pro, iMovie, FCE, etc.
Steps to convert Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K RAW files to FCP X
1. Please get the Acrok HD Video Converter for Mac program from the link, install this software on Mac computer. This converter also has Windows version which can help you to convert 4K video on Windows computer.
2. Launch this Blackmagic camera 4K video converter, click add files button to import the recorded files, you can also directly drag and drop the videos into the software for converting.
3. Choose video format you need to output. To edit 4K video on Mac with FCP X, you can select Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov) for output, with this codec you can edit 4K video with FCP X natively. If you want to convert 4k video on Mac to other formats, you can choose according to your need.
4. By clicking settings button you can adjust the output parameters like resolution, bitrate, frame rate, codec or other parameters, just adjust them according to your need.
5. Click convert button to start converting Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K RAW files to FCP X. This Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K video converter will convert 4K video with high quality and fast speed, when the conversion is finished, you can click open folder button to get the converted videos, and then you can load them into Final Cut Pro X for editing with Apple ProRes codec, there will be no problems anymore.